Sunday, December 11, 2005

What the HELL is an 'Ass Burger'?

That was one of my thoughts tonight as I listened to my boys' stepmom on the phone.

"K" has been diagnosed with 'Asperger Syndrome' which is "... a developmental disorder. It is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), one of a distinct group of neurological conditions characterized by a greater or lesser degree of impairment in language and communication skills, as well as repetitive or restrictive patterns of thought and behavior."

It took awhile before what she was saying sunk in and when it did, the tears began to fall and suddenly I was devastated, terrified and somewhat relieved to finally have an accurate description of what is 'wrong' with my baby boy. The words autism and suicide continue to ring loudly in my head as I try to wrap my brain around what to do next and how I can help my son deal with this. At 14 years old, is he going to be able to reach the potential we know he has inside, or will it be too late to protect him from a grim future?

I'm so mentally tired right now. I'm going to try to sleep on this and hope to awake with a clearer mind and new direction. I shall return, my friends.

3 Comments:

Blogger Meow said...

People with Aspergers can go on to live wonderful, meaningful, full lives. Take a look at this website http://www.mugsy.org/wendy/index2.htm
I went to a seminar by Wendy Lawson, the person on the website, and she is totally amazing. I have worked with autistic people in the past, and on the whole, they are wonderful, interesting, talented people.
I guess as a parent, you will need to make some adjustments to your ways of thinking, but it needn't be an awful thing.
Continue to love, that is the most important thing, and read as much as you can about the condition. You will be amazed what you discover.
Take care, Meow

Mon Dec 12, 05:35:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dale said...

Hugs, Zette. I'm thinking of you. And your boy.

Tue Dec 13, 07:24:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jan myrz said...

I've been thinking about your question and if there were any words of wisdom I could share with you about Aspergers, and how you could help.

The best I can come up with is simply love unconditionally and just be the great mom you are already. Those two things along with some education on the disorder will allow you all to live your lives to the fullest and be happy in the process.

You'll all do fine, because your a family that cares about one another.

If I can be of any help; just ask.

Thu Dec 29, 09:56:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!