Sunday, April 03, 2005

Long Over Due Break


Ever since the day Tracie and Nancy left for Hawaii 3 weeks ago, I've felt like the Energizer Bunny, because I never seem to get to stop going and going and going.

UNTIL TODAY!

Today, I slept in but awoke with a plan to keep going. But this time, going meant relaxing. Doing something different. Getting away from any semblence of work, either house or job related.

I left the dishes in the sink. The yard un-mowed and the dog poop for another day. Laundry would have to wait, as would bed-making, vacuuming, cooking and yes, even the computer was told to wait.

We loaded ourselves into the car. Filled the gas tank without worrying about it's cost. Grabbed a few cold drinks, the map and camera, then headed on down the road to no-where-in-particular.

Instead of taking a semi-familair highway, I continued south until we came upon a lazy looking country road. Following that road led us to see some really nice little Texas towns and all the openness you could hope to find in between those towns.

I wanted Blue Bonnet pictures, but what I got was a fantastic afternoon enjoying this state I have adopted. I got peace and quiet, along with some simple conversation with my mother-in-law, while Lil' Miss napped in the back seat.

With no set destination, we drove along one new road after another. Never really knowing where each would lead us. We saw a sign for a "Blue Bonnet Park" but never found it. Instead we ended up at a Nature Reserve along side a lake, where everything was beautiful. Butterflies were in no short supply, as they flitted from wild flower to wild flower. The Blue Bonnets and Indian Paintbrushes were vibrant and plentiful. The wind was gentle and the sunshine felt wonderful.

Although we decided to head towards home, the fun didn't stop. There were more sights to see and enjoy. We finally stopped at Sonic for dinner and took our time eating, later indulging in dessert as well.

Coming home was nice and I think I may even be ready for the LONG week ahead of me now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jan myrz said...

Good for you girl...
I call those days "Hooky Days" and have been making it a point to do them at the most unexpected times throughout the year, ever since my daughter Robin was about nine years old.
I started noticing her being listless and tired and not caring about anything. So I surprised her one day and went to the school and got her out. I told the school I was stealing my own kid for the day; they didn't like it but I told them tough. I was honest with them that we were playing hooky from work and from school. From that time on, we shared Hooky days.
I just had one with my grand-kids a couple weeks ago. Jasmin will be getting married on the 12th and we'll never be able to have a day like that together again, so we were taking a day for us. Their parents weren't too thrilled about it until I reminded Robin how much she needed those days when she was a kid. She understood and called a hooky day for her and the kids the following week, so they have shared a day like that, for just the three of them to be able to look back on with fond memories.
It does a person good to remember why they are working and studying so hard. It isn't for the world; it's for us. So we can have days like that with those we love. If we forget to spend them together just enjoying life and each other; what good is our lives together?
So I say again, Good for you. You even sound refreshed, renewed and happier.
Love toya kiddo,
Jan

Mon Apr 04, 09:35:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

sounds like a great day!

Tue Apr 05, 01:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dale said...

Sounds like it was just what the doctor ordered. It's grand to see you back again, Zette. And sounding so positive.

Wed Apr 06, 10:39:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got some well deserved 'off time'. Sometimes I really think you work yourself too hard, it is nice to take some time for yourself. Time like that is hard to come by, it helps you remember what is really important in life.

Fri Apr 08, 10:43:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!