A Gift
Next week Lil' Miss will end her second year of formal schooling and I'm amazed by the leaps and bounds with which she has grown this year.
I spent 30 minutes on the phone with her teacher on Friday afternoon, and felt great sadness that this wonderful woman will not be her teacher FOREVER! She took the time this year to not only get to know my little girl, but love her deeply as well. It shows in her attention to the little things. She sees thru the wild child and recognizes her abilities, encouraging Lil' Miss to expand her thinking even further. And the words she spoke to me last week, were the sweetest and warmest I've ever had anyone not related to Lil' Miss express.
To be honest, I've often wondered if anyone else saw her for the special gift she is, and believed in her as much as I do. Being her mom makes me biased, obviously. But this woman sees Lil' Miss as more than her student and that really makes me proud. She told me she would be surprised if Lil' Miss wasn't tested AND recognized as a gifted student next year. She said her thinking is so far out of the box at times, that it leaves the others students baffled, and her teachers amazed.
She said she is reading at a level two years beyond her current grade. A 3.7 to be exact. (Third year, seventh month) This is so absolutely incredible, considering that when she was tested just 12 months ago, she was in the 48 percentile of students her grade and age. Barely able to read. And only 8 short months ago, she was reading at a 1.4 level!!!
I see changes in her, too, well beyond any acedemics test. Socially, emotionally, and often spiritually. Yes, I'm biased. But I know I'm not alone.
I spent 30 minutes on the phone with her teacher on Friday afternoon, and felt great sadness that this wonderful woman will not be her teacher FOREVER! She took the time this year to not only get to know my little girl, but love her deeply as well. It shows in her attention to the little things. She sees thru the wild child and recognizes her abilities, encouraging Lil' Miss to expand her thinking even further. And the words she spoke to me last week, were the sweetest and warmest I've ever had anyone not related to Lil' Miss express.
To be honest, I've often wondered if anyone else saw her for the special gift she is, and believed in her as much as I do. Being her mom makes me biased, obviously. But this woman sees Lil' Miss as more than her student and that really makes me proud. She told me she would be surprised if Lil' Miss wasn't tested AND recognized as a gifted student next year. She said her thinking is so far out of the box at times, that it leaves the others students baffled, and her teachers amazed.
She said she is reading at a level two years beyond her current grade. A 3.7 to be exact. (Third year, seventh month) This is so absolutely incredible, considering that when she was tested just 12 months ago, she was in the 48 percentile of students her grade and age. Barely able to read. And only 8 short months ago, she was reading at a 1.4 level!!!
I see changes in her, too, well beyond any acedemics test. Socially, emotionally, and often spiritually. Yes, I'm biased. But I know I'm not alone.
2 Comments:
Yaaaaaaaay for LiL' Miss....you go girl!!
Hi Zette. Someone once said, "There is only one perfect child, and every parent has her."
So pleased to hear Li'l Miss is doing so well. She may have a gift. I don't know. I do know this much, however. She IS a gift. And I'll bet you're a fabulous mum.
Post a Comment
<< Home