I've Got Icicles On My Icicles
To anyone in North Texas who doesn't live under a rock, today's arctic blast of snow, sleet and gusty winds came as no surprise. It's beautifully white and finally feels like Christmas around here.
But doggoneit, is it ever COLD!
Yesterday was a really long, trying day and I was in no condition to be up and about, but UP and ABOUT I WAS. I couldn't afford not to be. I wanted to delegate the errands and chores to Glenn, but he came home with a fever of 101.2F, so I was left with little choice.
I managed to sneak out of the house for an hour, dropping Lil' Miss off with the girls, while I ran to Target to grab a few of the toys she's pointed out. In and out in less than 30 minutes. Gotta love that! Then we came back home and I made a mental list of things I needed to get at Wal-Mart. I tried to get her settled down so I could make a run after she was asleep, since I couldn't take her AND buy presents for her. It was almost 1:00 am before she was ready for sleep. (*sigh* ...vacation means late nights in our house!) Wal-Mart was relatively empty, except for the poor employees trying to pick up the messes made by the masses. I picked up the really GOOD stuff she wanted and then went to the grocery side to pick up some extra stuff to sustain us happily thru the cold weather ahead.
I tried getting gas so Glenn wouldn't have to worry about it, but the crazy pumps wouldn't work for me. They got authorization for my card, but no gas would come out. So I tried another pump and had the same problem, so I just said to heck with it, took my receipts for ZERO dollars (LOL!) and went home. I managed to get a couple hours of sleep before the phone rang at 8:00am this morning.
Turns out my spending spree and the two attempts at getting gas triggered a fraud alert with my bank and they were calling to verify my purchases. How cool was that?!!! Everything checked out fine and I was able to give them the amount I spent before they asked, which made them happy. I was very happy to know that someone is looking after my butt (and my hard-earned money!!).
So I sat here watching the weather reports this morning waiting for the rain to turn to sleet and then snow, as it was already all wintry north of us. I opened the blinds and curtains, so Lil' Miss would see the snow when it came, and turned up the heat to compensate for the additional coldness. I fell back asleep and she never woke me up, instead choosing to hook up the N64 and play her video games.
She was given a "new" game, YOSHI, which she just loves playing. This has really sparked her interest in video games....something I know NOTHING about. She'd be an addict if I let her; I can just see it in her eyes! So I wake up to her playing MARIO CART, pausing just long enough to tell me she finally learned how to play TONY HAWK! Oh yippee skippee...my child is a video game nerd....LOL!
I ask her if she's looked outside yet and she says "no," so I tell her to look out my bedroom window, as the snow hasn't been sticking to the roads out front...YET! There wasn't much to see, and she completely missed it! I point out the fence ledges and rooftops, and she just SCREAMS with excitement!!!
Now a little background here..... about a week, week and a half ago, she decided to write all over my dry erase calendar on the fridge. Long squiggly lines and her "notes," for which she got into trouble. It's MY board and not a toy, I told her. But I left the lines and notes to remind her of what she'd done. One note she wrote, was for yesterday, December 21st. Winter solstice. She wrote, "snow begins" because she believes if it's when winter starts, then there BETTER be snow! She was more than a little disappointed yesterday when the weather was sunny, and not a single snowflake in the sky, and was not comforted by the thought of pending snow today.
So yeah, my daughter is not only gonna be a video game junkie, given the opportunity, but she has apparently inherited the ability to see into the future. And she isn't even related by blood to the Great Swami! LMAO!
But doggoneit, is it ever COLD!
Yesterday was a really long, trying day and I was in no condition to be up and about, but UP and ABOUT I WAS. I couldn't afford not to be. I wanted to delegate the errands and chores to Glenn, but he came home with a fever of 101.2F, so I was left with little choice.
I managed to sneak out of the house for an hour, dropping Lil' Miss off with the girls, while I ran to Target to grab a few of the toys she's pointed out. In and out in less than 30 minutes. Gotta love that! Then we came back home and I made a mental list of things I needed to get at Wal-Mart. I tried to get her settled down so I could make a run after she was asleep, since I couldn't take her AND buy presents for her. It was almost 1:00 am before she was ready for sleep. (*sigh* ...vacation means late nights in our house!) Wal-Mart was relatively empty, except for the poor employees trying to pick up the messes made by the masses. I picked up the really GOOD stuff she wanted and then went to the grocery side to pick up some extra stuff to sustain us happily thru the cold weather ahead.
I tried getting gas so Glenn wouldn't have to worry about it, but the crazy pumps wouldn't work for me. They got authorization for my card, but no gas would come out. So I tried another pump and had the same problem, so I just said to heck with it, took my receipts for ZERO dollars (LOL!) and went home. I managed to get a couple hours of sleep before the phone rang at 8:00am this morning.
Turns out my spending spree and the two attempts at getting gas triggered a fraud alert with my bank and they were calling to verify my purchases. How cool was that?!!! Everything checked out fine and I was able to give them the amount I spent before they asked, which made them happy. I was very happy to know that someone is looking after my butt (and my hard-earned money!!).
So I sat here watching the weather reports this morning waiting for the rain to turn to sleet and then snow, as it was already all wintry north of us. I opened the blinds and curtains, so Lil' Miss would see the snow when it came, and turned up the heat to compensate for the additional coldness. I fell back asleep and she never woke me up, instead choosing to hook up the N64 and play her video games.
She was given a "new" game, YOSHI, which she just loves playing. This has really sparked her interest in video games....something I know NOTHING about. She'd be an addict if I let her; I can just see it in her eyes! So I wake up to her playing MARIO CART, pausing just long enough to tell me she finally learned how to play TONY HAWK! Oh yippee skippee...my child is a video game nerd....LOL!
I ask her if she's looked outside yet and she says "no," so I tell her to look out my bedroom window, as the snow hasn't been sticking to the roads out front...YET! There wasn't much to see, and she completely missed it! I point out the fence ledges and rooftops, and she just SCREAMS with excitement!!!
Now a little background here..... about a week, week and a half ago, she decided to write all over my dry erase calendar on the fridge. Long squiggly lines and her "notes," for which she got into trouble. It's MY board and not a toy, I told her. But I left the lines and notes to remind her of what she'd done. One note she wrote, was for yesterday, December 21st. Winter solstice. She wrote, "snow begins" because she believes if it's when winter starts, then there BETTER be snow! She was more than a little disappointed yesterday when the weather was sunny, and not a single snowflake in the sky, and was not comforted by the thought of pending snow today.
So yeah, my daughter is not only gonna be a video game junkie, given the opportunity, but she has apparently inherited the ability to see into the future. And she isn't even related by blood to the Great Swami! LMAO!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home