I'm Not Ready For You To Grow-Up!
OH NO! Not yet, please!
Lil' Miss finally asked "the big question" on Thursday and I panicked. But what do you say?
WHAT
DO
YOU
SAY??????
Out of nowhere, she asked me if I believed that Santa was real!!!
Wholly Shit! I was so NOT ready for her to ask that question YET! Maybe in another year or so. But NOT now!
I've always believed in letting a child enjoy their youthful imagination until they were ready to grow up. I figured that once one of my kids asked me about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy, I'd be grown-up enough to tell them the truth and let them down easy.
Kids are not stupid and know more than we give them credit for. If they ask you a serious question, you should always answer truthfully, even if you have to take the kid gloves off. If you lie and they find out, your credibility is shot to hell and they will be less likely to ask you the more important questions later in life or believe you when you need them to.
I've always been a believer in HONESTY, even when it hurts. Tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may, but you can sleep better at night. Sometimes this moral policy of mine has gotten me into trouble I'd rather not be in, but I wouldn't change a thing if I could.
So what did I say when she asked me?
Well, after I began breathing again and stopped staring at her...
I CHOKED!
Crashed and Burned!
Bit the dust!
My nose grew 6 inches immediately!!!!!
Me: "Well, what do you believe, huney? And why do you ask?"
Her: "So-n-so said he's not real and that people just pretend he is. But I think he's real."
Me: "Well, the Santa you see at the stores and on TV isn't real. So we do pretend in that way. But as long as you think he's real, that's all that matters."
Her: "Yeah, kinda like Jesus and GOD, huh?"
OH, SHIT, NOT THIS QUESTION! Ask me about ANY thing, but THIS!!!
Me: "Ummm, yeah I guess."
Her: "See, I knew Santa WAS real!"
Me: "Yep, he sure is!"
I hung my head in shame and didn't sleep very well, knowing I missed a perfectly good opportunity to come clean with her.
On Friday she asked me again, and again, I lied.
I'm just not ready for my baby-girl to grow up or be disappointed and let down. Especially so close to Christmas. And we've only got to play Tooth-Fairy once! *waaahhhh*
I never got the chance to deal with this, with my boys; they were living with their dad when their older step-brother spilled the beans.
I want to sit her down and tell her the truth, but now I don't know how.
What do you say? *sighs*
Lil' Miss finally asked "the big question" on Thursday and I panicked. But what do you say?
WHAT
DO
YOU
SAY??????
Out of nowhere, she asked me if I believed that Santa was real!!!
Wholly Shit! I was so NOT ready for her to ask that question YET! Maybe in another year or so. But NOT now!
I've always believed in letting a child enjoy their youthful imagination until they were ready to grow up. I figured that once one of my kids asked me about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy, I'd be grown-up enough to tell them the truth and let them down easy.
Kids are not stupid and know more than we give them credit for. If they ask you a serious question, you should always answer truthfully, even if you have to take the kid gloves off. If you lie and they find out, your credibility is shot to hell and they will be less likely to ask you the more important questions later in life or believe you when you need them to.
I've always been a believer in HONESTY, even when it hurts. Tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may, but you can sleep better at night. Sometimes this moral policy of mine has gotten me into trouble I'd rather not be in, but I wouldn't change a thing if I could.
So what did I say when she asked me?
Well, after I began breathing again and stopped staring at her...
I CHOKED!
Crashed and Burned!
Bit the dust!
My nose grew 6 inches immediately!!!!!
Me: "Well, what do you believe, huney? And why do you ask?"
Her: "So-n-so said he's not real and that people just pretend he is. But I think he's real."
Me: "Well, the Santa you see at the stores and on TV isn't real. So we do pretend in that way. But as long as you think he's real, that's all that matters."
Her: "Yeah, kinda like Jesus and GOD, huh?"
OH, SHIT, NOT THIS QUESTION! Ask me about ANY thing, but THIS!!!
Me: "Ummm, yeah I guess."
Her: "See, I knew Santa WAS real!"
Me: "Yep, he sure is!"
I hung my head in shame and didn't sleep very well, knowing I missed a perfectly good opportunity to come clean with her.
On Friday she asked me again, and again, I lied.
I'm just not ready for my baby-girl to grow up or be disappointed and let down. Especially so close to Christmas. And we've only got to play Tooth-Fairy once! *waaahhhh*
I never got the chance to deal with this, with my boys; they were living with their dad when their older step-brother spilled the beans.
I want to sit her down and tell her the truth, but now I don't know how.
What do you say? *sighs*
1 Comments:
Congratulations! You did well. Like you, i try to make sure my daughter knows the truth about stuff if she asks. Being an only child, she hasn't been exposed to much talk of things like santa...tooth fairy and easter bunny. I think this will be her last year of "believing". Kids at school tell her santa is not real.." i saw my mum putting presents under the tree"..etc etc. She asked me again the other day if he was real, like you i asked what do you think? She said even though the kids at school say he isn't i reckon he is mum. Me too, i said. In todays world, i think its nice for them to have a bit of fantasy in their life. If she comes to me and say's..Mum do you put the presents under the tree....are you santa....i don't believe in santa its really you mum........then YES i will tell her.
Post a Comment
<< Home