Miss Independent
Lil' Miss has continued to surprise me this week with the little things she does.
I know, not a big surprise, as this is an ongoing part of being her mom, but I just finished laughing my butt off so hard that it just gave me warm fuzzies to watch and listen to her.
I have stayed up later than I should this week, visiting with a friend, and have not wanted to get up when I needed to. Well today, before my alarm ever went off, there she was, standing next to my bed talking to me.
"Mom. Could you brush my hair for school?"
"Yeah baby, in just a few minutes."
"Mom, I brushed my hair. Is it time to go yet?"
"Not yet, honey."
"Mom, I put all the juice boxes in my backpack."
"Well, that's good sweetie."
About this time, my alarm goes off, as does the phone, with Glenn calling to make sure I'm awake.
"Y-Y-Y-E-E-E-S-S-S-S....I'm aw-w-wake, but suddenly I'm fr-fr-eeeeez-zing," I said through chattering teeth.
Lil' Miss comes in and hits the snooze alarm for me, after asking if it was ok.
I notice she is still in her pajamas, but eager to get ready to go to school. I tell her where she can find the clothes I just washed last night, and off she goes in search of them. I'm still shivering wildly, which is so weird and now my ear hurts and my head aches. I crawl out of bed, find some sweatpants and turn the heater WAAAY UP!
Then it hits me...she put ALL the juice boxes in her backpack?????
She's out of school all next week and her class is having a feast today as part of their lessons on the first Thanksgiving. We got picked for juice boxes for 24 kids. How I wished we only had to send popped corn, but oh well. I go check on her backpack and it's so doggone heavy. I take them out and tell her I will drop them off at school on the way to work, later this morning, much to her dismay.
She brushes her teeth, alone and without complaint, then grabs her coat and is ready to walk to school. "Do I get a hug and kiss today?" She laughs and runs back to me, rolling her eyes at how silly she is to have forgotten. "You sure you'll bring the juice boxes?"
"Yes, in a few hours, before I go to work. Don't worry; your feast isn't until this afternoon."
"But MOM! I really want to take them now"
"They're too heavy."
"I can carry them, Mom. PLEASE!"
"Oh, ok." And I put the two bags of juice boxes into her backpack. 6.75 ounces each. 24 boxes. Just over 10 pounds on her skinny little 47 pound body. I watch her begin to waddle down the drive way, urging her to hurry up and not play or she'll be late.
She makes it one house down before she stops and stoops down to examine a new ant hill. I holler, (YES HOLLER) "Get a move on or you'll be LATE!!!" She looks at me like I'm crazy, then makes an effort to stand up, but falls down. She tries again; same results. She tries a third time, and we both just start laughing so loudly! "MMMOOOOMMMM! Can you help me get up?" Thru tears, I manage to put a jacket on and get over to her to pull her up, the weight of the backpack winning this battle.
She starts to walk off and I notice the pulled backpack has her butt nearly fully exposed as it has bunched up her dress under her jacket. I laugh and stop her to fix her "wardrobe malfuntion" and then notice she has obviously grown these past three months because her dress doesn't even touch the tops of her knees anymore. Gee, hope the Principal doesn't stop and harass her.
Lil' Miss was waddling and wavering, and I just knew she wasn't going to make it to school. So I grab the keys and drive around the corner, to find she is basically walking at a snail's pace and hasn't made it but a few houses. "Mom, I think I'll take a ride to school today." The juiceboxes in her backpack were just too much and she couldn't even get into the car. "Take off the backpack, put it in the car, then crawl in." She barely gets it in and onto the floorboard and then slides in.
We laugh the entire 1/4 mile to her classroom, where LUCKILY there was a "Smiling Dad" (who had stuck around after enjoying the annual "Donuts for Dad" that Glenn sadly missed this year due to work) helping kids out of the cars. He was surprised at how heavy her backpack was and helped put it on her as she explained to him about the feast and all the juiceboxes she had brought. He just laughed and got her on her way. THANKS SMILING DAD!
I'm thinking, if I had NOT had a car today, she would STILL be walking to school, if not sitting on a sidewalk along the way, unable to stand up unassisted! LOL!
She cracks me up!
I know, not a big surprise, as this is an ongoing part of being her mom, but I just finished laughing my butt off so hard that it just gave me warm fuzzies to watch and listen to her.
I have stayed up later than I should this week, visiting with a friend, and have not wanted to get up when I needed to. Well today, before my alarm ever went off, there she was, standing next to my bed talking to me.
"Mom. Could you brush my hair for school?"
"Yeah baby, in just a few minutes."
"Mom, I brushed my hair. Is it time to go yet?"
"Not yet, honey."
"Mom, I put all the juice boxes in my backpack."
"Well, that's good sweetie."
About this time, my alarm goes off, as does the phone, with Glenn calling to make sure I'm awake.
"Y-Y-Y-E-E-E-S-S-S-S....I'm aw-w-wake, but suddenly I'm fr-fr-eeeeez-zing," I said through chattering teeth.
Lil' Miss comes in and hits the snooze alarm for me, after asking if it was ok.
I notice she is still in her pajamas, but eager to get ready to go to school. I tell her where she can find the clothes I just washed last night, and off she goes in search of them. I'm still shivering wildly, which is so weird and now my ear hurts and my head aches. I crawl out of bed, find some sweatpants and turn the heater WAAAY UP!
Then it hits me...she put ALL the juice boxes in her backpack?????
She's out of school all next week and her class is having a feast today as part of their lessons on the first Thanksgiving. We got picked for juice boxes for 24 kids. How I wished we only had to send popped corn, but oh well. I go check on her backpack and it's so doggone heavy. I take them out and tell her I will drop them off at school on the way to work, later this morning, much to her dismay.
She brushes her teeth, alone and without complaint, then grabs her coat and is ready to walk to school. "Do I get a hug and kiss today?" She laughs and runs back to me, rolling her eyes at how silly she is to have forgotten. "You sure you'll bring the juice boxes?"
"Yes, in a few hours, before I go to work. Don't worry; your feast isn't until this afternoon."
"But MOM! I really want to take them now"
"They're too heavy."
"I can carry them, Mom. PLEASE!"
"Oh, ok." And I put the two bags of juice boxes into her backpack. 6.75 ounces each. 24 boxes. Just over 10 pounds on her skinny little 47 pound body. I watch her begin to waddle down the drive way, urging her to hurry up and not play or she'll be late.
She makes it one house down before she stops and stoops down to examine a new ant hill. I holler, (YES HOLLER) "Get a move on or you'll be LATE!!!" She looks at me like I'm crazy, then makes an effort to stand up, but falls down. She tries again; same results. She tries a third time, and we both just start laughing so loudly! "MMMOOOOMMMM! Can you help me get up?" Thru tears, I manage to put a jacket on and get over to her to pull her up, the weight of the backpack winning this battle.
She starts to walk off and I notice the pulled backpack has her butt nearly fully exposed as it has bunched up her dress under her jacket. I laugh and stop her to fix her "wardrobe malfuntion" and then notice she has obviously grown these past three months because her dress doesn't even touch the tops of her knees anymore. Gee, hope the Principal doesn't stop and harass her.
Lil' Miss was waddling and wavering, and I just knew she wasn't going to make it to school. So I grab the keys and drive around the corner, to find she is basically walking at a snail's pace and hasn't made it but a few houses. "Mom, I think I'll take a ride to school today." The juiceboxes in her backpack were just too much and she couldn't even get into the car. "Take off the backpack, put it in the car, then crawl in." She barely gets it in and onto the floorboard and then slides in.
We laugh the entire 1/4 mile to her classroom, where LUCKILY there was a "Smiling Dad" (who had stuck around after enjoying the annual "Donuts for Dad" that Glenn sadly missed this year due to work) helping kids out of the cars. He was surprised at how heavy her backpack was and helped put it on her as she explained to him about the feast and all the juiceboxes she had brought. He just laughed and got her on her way. THANKS SMILING DAD!
I'm thinking, if I had NOT had a car today, she would STILL be walking to school, if not sitting on a sidewalk along the way, unable to stand up unassisted! LOL!
She cracks me up!
1 Comments:
Hey Sue! It's Ash, lol, I wish I would have been there for that this morning, I guess I left a little early. Tell Lil' Miss hi and that me and matt are here at my house laughing uncontrollably about the juice boxes in her backpack.
Talk to you guys later, lol.
-Ash
Post a Comment
<< Home